The Cardinals could finish off with the preseason with a win as the Broncos stormed back with 18 points in the fourth quarter, but the silver lining to this preseason loss is that the team got through the preseason with no major injuries. There were a big scare though when starting left tackle went down hard favoring a knee and at first it didn't look good at all. He was able to get up and walk off the field though and amazingly, only missed two plays. The only injury of any concern sustained last night was a sprained ankle to Alan Branch, who looked very good before going down. With the preseason coming to an end and roster cuts looming (by 4pm EST today), here's a quick look at some positives from the game:
- Matt Leinart looked really good. I don't know if he made up for last week's performance but if Whisenhunt was on the fence going into the game, his decision only got tougher. Matt led two scoring drives and ended up 10 of 14 for 177 and a touchdown.
- JJ Arrington continues to impress. He's finally running with some authority and if he keeps this up he could end up pushing Edge and Hightower for a handful of carries a game.
- I continue to be impressed by how well the young players are playing. Guys like Calais Campbell, Kenny Iwebema, Lance Long and Elliot Vallejo all had great games. Campbell and Iwebema got quite a bit of playing time and they handled the rush as well as the pass. Lance Long finally got significant snaps in a game and the little man hauled in four passes for 48 yards. I really tried to zero in on Vallejo while he was on the field and I continue to like what I see in him. Granted he wasn't playing against anyone of note but he stands out when he's with the second group.
- When was the last time you watched an entire Cardinals game and only saw two flags against the Cards? Well that was the case last night as they only got flagged twice for 15 yards. It's too early to tell if this is a trend or an abberation but for one night it was good to see.
Obviously you cant' have a loss without some negatives though:
- Five turnovers is a killer no matter who you're playing. For the second consecutive game, Hightower had a fumble and this time the Cardinals didn't recover. Matt and Steve Blaylark also chipped in with fumbles but the real buzz-kill was two interceptions by Anthony Morelli. One of the picks was returned for a touchdown and sealed the loss.
That's all I've really got right now. What did you guys see and did anyone's performance win them a job or roster spot?