Two awards down and we're now onto the bigger stuff. That's right, it's time to decide who the defensive player of the year for the Arizona Cardinals will be. This award goes to the toughest, hard-nosed player with the most heart. This player is the key to the defense and keeps momentum going, makes home run plays, steps up when needed, and most important, makes the Cardinals' defense better. This is a tough list because the Cardinals have a lot of players that fit this profile. If you feel anybody was left off, leave a comment with who and why. Here is the list of nominees for Defensive Player of the Year:
- Adrian Wilson - What else can you say about the guy? The list can go on forever. He bleeds red and white and shows up to play every Sunday. He is the longest tenured Cardinal and is a two time Pro Bowler. Nobody wanted a Super Bowl win more then Wilson and he showed it throughout the playoffs.
- Bertrand Berry - He's not going to put up outstanding numbers but he is easily the heart of the defense. He plays with a lot of emotion and its obvious he is proud to play for the Cardinals. Evidence of this is the fact that Berry took pay cut, and took 2nd string just to stay with the team.
- Karlos Dansby - He's young and has a very bright future. Dansby is on the rise and has the talent to become one of the most unique linebackers in the league. Dansby can play the pass, stop the run, and get after the quarterback. He's been regarded as the play maker of the defense.
- Darnell Dockett - Darnell mans the line and is constantly disrupting plays. He shows a lot of emotion and plays with a high motor. He's a quick but strong defensive lineman who is constantly getting after the quarterback. He showed up in the Super Bowl and single handedly stopped a key Steelers drive. A statistical error gave him a record-tying 3 sacks in the Super Bowl.
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - In his rookie year he went from being a back-up, to the starting cornerback in the Super Bowl. DRC was a boost for the Cardinals secondary, and he probably was the reason for the rest of them to step up in the playoffs.
Here's the list for defensive player of the year. It's going to be tough to decide this one. All four of these players lay everything on the line on Sundays and are very important to the Cardinals defense.