We're two weeks deep into the preseason and I'm sure most of us are saying, "Is the regular season here yet?" The answer is no. With two games left of the preseason, and almost two weeks left, we're still stuck hearing about positional battles and predictions of what the Cardinals will look like in 2009. So to continue that trend, here's some news around the web about our very own Cardinals.
- Darren Urban discusses the possibility of Brian St. Pierre being moved to the practice squad, and he states that he would be eligible. He also believes that Matt Leinart has pretty much secured the number two role on the team, and that Tyler Palko would need to be very impressive to have a chance to make the roster.
- Also from Urban, he talks about the Cardinals lack of offense so far in the preseason and that the Cardinals are still not concerned with it. Larry Fitzgerald says that coach Whisenhunt isn't giving anything away to regular season opponents, such as the no huddle offense. This makes sense as the Cardinals offense hasn't looked too complex at this point.
- Mike Sando talks to the Cardinals new defensive coordinator, Bill Davis, and gathers his thoughts for the 2009 season. Davis talks about his past and what he's bringing to the Cardinals defense. He also talks about Darnell Dockett and his move to a new position saying that he's really excited for Dockett, and believes he'll have a good season. Davis talks about getting back to basics, and focusing on their weaknesses of last year:
- At Azcentral, they look at the top three things to watch for tonight. The most important is stopping the explosive offense of the Packers. They also address the wide receiver battle between Lance Long, Early Doucet, Sean Morey, and Orea Jones. The final thing to look for is the returning of LSH.
You can focus on a lot of things, Davis said, but when you have our offense, which we have so much respect for and it's fun to watch, we've got to take care of ours. We've got to stop the deep ball. We've got to make sure we get pressure on the quarterback. We have to play the run like we did in the playoffs.
- Also from Azcentral, they evaluate the Cardinals defense and feel out the possibilities and what we can expect for next year. Davis feels that not everybody was on the same page last year with Clancy Pendergast as the defensive coordinator. He also feels that they will be able to generate a consistent pass rush this year. Adrian Wilson had this to say about the defense:
I think everybody knows what they're doing. I think that was a part of it (last season), people didn't know where they were supposed to be, and they really didn't take the time to study and just know the defense. Now, things aren't as simplified as they were last year, but guys have a year of experience under their belts.