Ok fellas, time to take a spin around the web and see who the so called draft experts think we'll be taking in April. I tried to find mocks that had been updated in the past couple of weeks so if there's a major site that I don't list here, that's probably the reason why (of course though it's possible that I just missed one too). anyways, here goes........
- CBS Sports - Rob Rang: Cam Newton QB
- CBS Sports - Chad Reuter: Derek Sherrod OT
- Draft Countdown: Ryan Mallet QB - Almost overnight the Cardinals went from a Super Bowl contender to one of the worst teams in the NFL and the retirement of Kurt Warner was directly responsible for their downfall. Derek Anderson obviously isn't the answer and while the coaching staff seems to be high on Max Hall it's hard to envision him as anything more than a backup in the pros, and that may be stretching it. Arkansas' Ryan Mallett would be a reach in the Top 10 but don't be surprised if some team takes a flyer on him earlier than they should based on his physical tools and potential. A huge, rocket-armed pocket passer, Mallett will at times remind you of Drew Bledsoe or Ben Roethlisberger. However, there are also times when he will remind you of the aforementioned Anderson or JaMarcus Russell. There is no question that Mallett has the talent to excel at the next level but he must improve his touch, timing, accuracy and footwork and there are also some concerns about his intangibles that'll have to be investigated. Arizona could also use a cornerback like Prince Amukamara of Nebraska or Patrick Peterson of L.S.U. to team with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and don't rule out North Carolina's Robert Quinn as a pass rushing outside linebacker.
- Walter Football: AJ Green WR - Some Cardinal fans may not like this pick because it doesn't address a huge need, but Larry Fitzgerald would disagree. Fitzgerald recently told the media how much he missed Anquan Boldin's presence on the other side of the field. John Skelton would also concur; Steve Breaston dropped a ton of passes in the rookie's debut. Regardless, A.J. Green is the top player available. He's arguably the second-best receiver prospect since Randy Moss, so Arizona would be foolish to pass him up for a lesser talent. As for the quarterback position, Skelton played pretty well against the Broncos. The stats don't show it, but he endured numerous drops from his receivers, namely Breaston. He looked poised and confident, and wasn't responsible for any sacks or turnovers. So, unless Ken Whisenhunt really falls in love with Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett, I believe he'll roll with Skelton next year with a veteran (Marc Bulger?) as his backup. Round 2: Brandon Burton (CB, Utah) Round 3: Chris Hairston (OT, Clemson)
- Draft Tek: Derek Sherrod OT - Arizona has a very mediocre group of QBs but even with the bad QBs, they've had trouble keeping them upright due to poor offensive line play. Sherrod has been shooting up draft boards and is widely considered the top offensive tackle available. With Luck, PP, and Prince gone and Locker's stock at an all-time low, Newton and Mallett aren't great fits for Whisenhunt so they look to protect whoever is taking snaps next year. Round 2: Colin Kaepernick (QB, Nevada) Round 3: Aaron Williams (CB, Texas)
- New Era Scouting: Prince Amukamara CB - The Cardinals are another team who will be looking at available quarterbacks, but none of the available passers are a good value in the top 5. Where Arizona can improve immediately is at cornerback. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a very good cover man, but he's being avoided by quarterbacks this season. Opposite him the Cardinals must add a solid corner who can force offenses to test DRC.
- FF Toolbox: Ryan Mallett QB
That's all I could find and I gotta say, I'm not too impressed by the talent avaliable at the top of this draft. Mallett's not a top 5 pick in my opinion and Sherrod, while there are some promsing aspects to his game, is not on the same level as top 5 OT's in previous years. Guys will of course rise and fall throughout the evaluation process leading up to the draft but that's what everyone thinks right now......