I am incredibly bored at work, and spent some time reading through some posts on The Falcoholic, and I am quite surprised by what I am reading. Most of the Falcons commenters are looking right past the Cardinals. After last week's showing against the Steelers, the Falcon's fans are looking at our game as a guaranteed win, and quite a few are expecting a blow out.
I know travelling to the East Coast has had a negative effect on our team in the past, but that is in the past. This year's team lost some key players, but have retained a lot of leadership from the only NFC team to win at least 1 playoff game in each of the last two seasons, and the same team who has only been able to be knocked out of the playoffs by the Super Bowl Champ two years in a row. I look at the following as reasons why our beloved Cardinals should win:
1. Being the underdog. Did you know the Falcons are favored by 7 points?!?!? Ours is a team that loves to play with a chip on it's shoulder, and with all the experts (not surprisingly) picking the Falcons, the oddsmakers picking the Falcons, the Cardinals are going to come out fired up.
2. An entire week of work between Fitz and DA. None of us are ever going to say DA is the 2nd coming of KW, but with more reps, these two should be able to connect better than the 3 for 15 they went last week, and you know Fitz is going to show why he is the best in the game at some point this season. Atlanta has some tiny DBs, and taht will work to our advantage.
3. 81 plays on defense. Last week our defense was on the field for 81 snaps, partly because we lost 4 fumbles, and had to play against three 2 minute drills (1st half, and two 2nd half). This tires out a defense, and we STILL only gave up 13 points.
4. 4 fumbles. If we didn't lose 4 fumbles last week, we win going away. No one will ever convince me otherwise. I would be completely shocked if we fumble like that after a week like we just had.
5. Our defense is nasty. Nuff said on this one. I dare "Matty Ice" to try and throw at Dr. C. He's scared and won't do it. If he does, expect the Doc to have a pick 6. And don't even get me started on how beastly A-Dubb, 9-0, D-Wash, and company are.
6. Coach Whiz. We have one of the best coaches in the league on our sideline. I am confident we will have an aggressive game plan and come out prepared to play and win.
All in all, I am looking forward to seeing the Falcons fans and the so called experts eat their words.
My prediction: A hard fought game, a Cardinals victory, and our team coming home to open the 2010 home season with a 2-0 record.