This pick was made by CincyFan93.
With the 17th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
Stephon is a tall, solidly built corner with a physical nature to his game. At South Carolina he played in mostly pres-bail/off-coverage and was at his best when he was near the line of scrimmage. For his size, he showcases impressive lateral quickness. He exhibits good straight-line speed for his size, played like a mid 4.4 guy, and made it tough on defenders to separate vertically. His only fault is his footwork, which can be sloppy from time to time. If that is cleaned up, he will be a threat at corner with his size and strength.
Corner Back will be a concern with the Bengals this year. Nate Clements, who turns 32 in December, was inconsistent all last year. He'll also be a free agent anyway. Meanwhile, Leon Hall won't be ready to play next year because of his torn Achilles. Also with the possibility of Adam "Pacman" Jones going to prison, the Bengals will be hard pressed to keep opposing receivers defended. Recently acquired Jason Allen will help out, but there is still much to be desired at the position. With Dre Kirkpatrick and Janoris Jenkins off the board, Stephon Gilmore is the best corner available and is a solid pick at 17.
The Bengals do need a corner and he is predicted to go in the first round in many mock drafts. Their other pressing needs are at running back and at guard. They drafted for need, but they got a talented player and of the team's needs, and he is the best player available that fits in. It's hard to fault the Bengals for that.
What do you think? Do you agree with the pick? Let us know in the comments why and make sure to place your vote.
Also, we need to fill a few more teams. Feel free to volunteer to take an available team, even if you already have one (or two).
5. Bucs (b0rd3rline) Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
7. Jags (JSteezy) Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
16. Jets (DrullinOverDaCards) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
17. Bengals (CincyFan93) Stephen Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
18. Chargers (Tues April 10) blank_38
19. Bears (Wed April 11) Kdean75
20. Titans (Thurs April 12)
21. Bengals (Fri April 13) CincyFan93
22. Browns (Sat April 14) Cardsdefense
23. Lions (Sun April 15)
24. Steelers (Mon April 16) Steamin Beamin
25. Broncos (Tues April 17) lacardsfan
26. Texans (Wed April 18) b0rd3rline
27. Patriots (Thurs April 19) psknapp
28. Packers (Fri April 20) GreaZzy
29. Ravens (Sat April 21)
30. 49ers (Sun April 22)
31. Patriots (Mon April 23) psknapp
32. Giants (Tues April 24) skid83
Do you agree withe the selection of Gilmore?
Yes (22 votes)
No (10 votes)
32 total votes