By popular demand, I bring you the classic game/contest of making straight up picks each week for the docket of NFL games. Unfortunately, due to real life responsibilities, long-time member and steward of the Pick'em game, Hawkwind, has told me he cannot run it this season.
That means unless someone else wants charge, I will take it over and hope I can do it justice. I am going to create a "group" to easily keep all these posts together and also will do a FanPost that basically has the link and schedule. But make your picks here on this post.
The rules will stay the same. Find them after the jump and to see the 2011 final regular season standings.
1) To qualify for any given week of picks the entire selected slate of games for that week must be predicted before the earliest kick-off date/time. Each week will have eight games to pick from and can include the Thursday game (if scheduled), the Cardinals game, the Sunday Night game, and Monday Night Football game. The remaining games will be chosen for their competitive unpredictability.
- Thursday games happen regularly in today's NFL, be sure to have your eight picks in that week if a Thursday game is on the Pick'em schedule. Your posts are time stamped and any posts/alterations after the listed official start time for a particular game will not be tallied for that week.
- You may change your picks after the initial submission but not after that particular game's kick-off. So if you're adjusting your fantasy football roster just before kick-off, you may consider your Pick'em selections too.
- There will be no slack on omitting a pick. If you forget to pick one of Sunday's games the entire week's picks are thrown out. So double check your picks versus the slated games.
2) To qualify for the Standard Pick'em championship a total of nine weeks of the NFL regular season must be picked; it is mandatory that picks are made for Week 16 and 17. To win the Iron Man Pick'em championship, all seventeen weeks of the season must be picked!
- Here is where the Pick'em strategy can come into play, as weeks with tough match-ups can be skipped entirely to maintain a good winning average.
- The last two weeks of the season must be picked to create an interesting finish to the league. It is conceivable that someone can jump to a commanding lead after nine weeks of picks and just ride out the rest of the season with that winning percentage. Picking the last two weeks of the season when starters are potentially getting rested on a playoff run gives the greatest potential to "mix it up" on the Pick'em leader board. For Week 17, the entire sixteen game schedule is picked.
- Those that participate for the entire 17 week season are eligible for the Iron Man Pick'em championship. If you can remember to submit picks all season and do so with consistent results, you deserve some additional recognition! If you win the Standard and Iron Man Pick'em championships, can you tell me who the Super Bowl winner will be next season so I can call in a bet to Vegas? StuckinColorado? Since you won both last year, who's the Champion this year?!
3) Individuals' rankings are based on a correct vs. wrong percentage with the leader having the highest percentage correctly picked.
- For example, Bezekira and hevchv picked fourteen winners correctly for 2009 Week 17. Fourteen of sixteen gives them a 0.875 winning percentage which would be a great finish to the season for anyone (won them the Standard and Iron Man championships thatt year respectively). A poor performance any given week isn't the end of your Pick'em hopes either; there is plenty of time to make a comeback.
- In case of winning percentage ties, the tie breakers are Weeks Won Points then Weeks Picked followed by number of times the Cardinals were picked to win, with the last tie breaker being SBNation tenure. Hopefully a tie doesn't go that far!
- Speaking of ties, in case the NFL has a tie (like the Bengals and Eagles three years ago) unless you predicted a tie, it counts as an incorrect pick. If you predict a tie and one actually happens besides getting a correct pick you'll having bragging rights forever with RotB Pick'em League.
Whoever has the best record any given weeks earns one Weeks Won Point. In the case of ties, that point is split between all the tied participants. This "Weeks Won Point" total is the first tie-breaker and is only used for that.
Here are the final 2011 standings
|Username||Correct||Wrong||%||Weeks Played||Week Won Pts|
|Cuckoo for Coco Puffs||90||46||.662||16||0.33|
Week 1 Pick'em Selected Games
Due to a change in the NFL.com site, there is no easy table to copy. Head there for game times and TV schedules.
Sunday early games:
Sunday late games:
Seahawks at Cardinals
Panthers at Bucs
Sunday night game:
Monday night games: