The Arizona Cardinals are st to play the Dallas Cowboys in their preseason home opener, but not everyone will be playing. As it is the preseason, there are no inactives, but there are a few players that will be held out because of injuries.
There are no surprises on this list, but you have to wonder for players like Ryan Williams, Jeff King and Kory Sperry if their chances to make the roster are waning, as they have yet to make on the field.
Likewise, someone like Jarrett Dillard, a receiver among those battling for one of the final spots, having to sit out with a concussion could prove to be very unfortunate, as others will have the opportunity to show that they belong among the final 53.
Here are those not expected to play, as noted on azcardinals.com:
- S Jonathon Amaya (knee)
- CB Javier Arenas (finger)
- LB Karlos Dansby (hamstring)
- WR Jarrett Dillard (concussion)
- S Rashad Johnson (knee/ankle)
- TE Jeff King (knee)
- DT Ricky Lumpkin (ankle)
- DT Dan Williams (ankle)
- DE Frostee Rucker (toe)
- TE Kory Sperry (ankle)
- RB Ryan Williams (knee)
To replace the injured starters in the lineup, Tyrann Mathieu starts at free safety in place of Johnson. Reggie Walker starts in place of Dansby. Andre Roberts will replace Jeff King, meaning the Cards will open in a three-wide set, rather than two-wide, two-tight.
More from Revenge of the Birds:
- Cardinals vs. Cowboys game preview: 5 things to watch for in Arizona's second preseason tilt
- Cowboys vs. Cardinals: Stats, matchups and connections
- NFL preseason game schedule: Cardinals vs. Cowboys kickoff time, TV schedule, odds
- Cowboys vs. Cardinals preview: 5 questions with Blogging the Boys
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim compares Patrick Peterson to Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson
Keep up with Cardinals news and opinions when you are not on the site. Follow Revenge of the Birds on Twitter at @revengeofbirds and "like" us on Facebook. You can follow me individually at @senorjessroot.