Head coach Bruce Arians explained the decision to the media on Friday.
"David was in a battle with Ronald Talley and Talley's strength at the point of attack, the ability to play nose [tackle] stronger was better," he said. "David has a lot of hustle and a lot of effort, but was struggling to hold the point as much as those guys were."
That is an important thing for the defense, as that is what nose tackle Dan Williams excels at. If he is out of the lineup, his replacement needs to be able to do that too.
It can be seen as a surprise, but he did not have a great preseason, despite the forced fumble late in their last game. He was also a late round draft pick from the previous coaching staff. he just did not make enough plays.
In the end, as he was a project pick when drafted, the team got more than they bargained for his rookie year and then less than they expected thereafter. Now, unless he can picked u p by another team, he will need to look past football for his next job.
More from Revenge of the Birds:
- Reggie Walker unexpected cut for Arizona Cardinals, Kerry Taylor makes the team
- Arizona Cardinals place Jonathan Cooper on injured reserve, say goodbye to 13
- Predicting the (1st) 53-man roster for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals vs Broncos final score: The positives in the 32-24 win over Denver
- Cardinals vs. Broncos: 5 Negatives