The Arizona Cardinals appears to be preparing to play the Detroit Lions without star wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald on Sunday. Arizona has announced they have released second year cornerback Jamell Fleming, the team's 2012 third-round draft pick and promoted receiver Kerry Taylor from the practice squad.
Fitzgerald is listed as questionable for the game because of a hamstring injury he suffered in practice this past week. Adding Taylor will give the team some added depth, as both Fitz and Andre Roberts are nursing injuries. Roberts is listed as probable to play.
Fleming was inactive in Week 1 and has taken a tumble in the league since being drafted. He had a great camp in 2012 and even saw significant playing time early. Then he was criticized by defense coordinator Ray Horton for being complacent and then, with the new coaching staff, found himself buried on the depth chart.
Arizona now has five corners and five receivers on the roster.
More from Revenge of the Birds:
- Arizona Cardinals give contract extension to OL Paul Fanaika
- Cardinals vs. Rams review: What we learned from the 27-24 loss
- Cardinals vs. Lions: How to stop Detroit offense
- In the Bruce Arians offense, quarterbacks are expected to take hits
- NFL injury report, Week 2: Rob Housler misses practice, Larry Fitzgerald with a hamstring injury