The Cardinals and the Lions have a long history, although they have not had a ton of matchups. Detroit leads the series historically 31-25-5. It dates back to 1930. However, the Cardinals have won the last four matchups, dating back to 2006.
The last time they played, the Cardinals defeated them 38-10 at home in 2012, snapping Arizona's nine-game losing streak. Beanie Wells rushed for three touchdowns and the defense picked off three Mathew Stafford passes, two of them being returned for touchdowns.
Statistically after one week of the season, Arizona has the 10th overall offense and 17th overall defense. Detroit, though, has the fourth best offense and 14th overall defense. Arizona is even in the turnover department. Detroit is +2.
The two teams do not have many player connections. Backup quarterback Drew Stanton for the Cardinals played for the Lions for five seasons (2007-2011). Receiver Michael Spurlock for the Lions was on the Cardinals in 2006 and played one game for Arizona.
More from Revenge of the Birds:
- Cardinals vs Lions Madden 25 simulation: Arizona falls late to Detroit
- Arizona Cardinals release CB Jamell Fleming, promote WR Kerry Taylor from practice squad
- NFL picks against the spread, Week 2: Handicapping the late games
- 2013 fantasy football, Lions vs. Cardinals: Start 'em, sit 'em
- Cardinals vs. Lions preview: How to run vs. Detroit's defense