Even though free agency is still in its first few hours of 2014, we will probably be able to look back and say that the signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer will be the most significant move made. With that, even though it is a reported $35 million over five years, it will not take up a lot of cap space in 2014.
According to Overthecap.com, Veldheer's contract in Year 1 will take up only $2.5 million in cap space in 2014.
LT Jared Veldheer signed a five year $35 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals on March 11, 2014. Veldheer received a $6.25 million signing bonus and a total of $10.5 million i n fully guaranteed salary. Veldheer can earn an additional $6.5 million in full guarantees over the life of the contract. Veldheer is eligible for per game active roster bonuses that total $500,000 from 2015-2018. Base salaries of the contract are $1,250,000(2014), $6,000,000(2015), $6,500,000(2016), $6,500,000(2017), and $6,500,000(2018).
His 2014 cap hit includes the $1.25 million prorated signing bonus and $1.25 million in salary.
His cap hit increases to $7.75 million in 2015 and then $8.25 million for the final three years.
In all, a solid contract for what could be a huge improvement at left tackle.
- NFL and Arizona Cardinals free agent tracker
- Karlos Dansby reportedly offered $24 million by Cleveland Browns
- NFL free agency 2014: Arizona Cardinals in talks with many of own free agents
- Andre Roberts is first of Arizona Cardinals free agents to leave, agrees to deal with Redskins
- NFL free agency: Arizona Cardinals have reported interest in CB Mike Jenkins