One part of free agency that is difficult for fans is when a player that they like is let go -- starter or reserve. Some fans will be disappointed to hear that running back Alfonso Smith, who worked his way from being an undrafted free agent to the practice squad to playing all 17 weeks in 2014.
According to his own Twitter account, Smith has been told by the team that they will not bring him back for another season.
Smith was a restricted free agent, but the team never gave him one of the available tenders. He is now free to sign with any team in the league.
He carried the ball 18 times for 54 yards and a touchdown, having his best run of the season against the Saints. He was used for the first half of the season as the team's third down back for pass protection, where he impressed Bruce Arians last year in training camp. He was also a key special teams contributor.
- Video: Ted Ginn highlights and touchdowns
- NFL free agency: Arizona Cardinals could have interest in LB Larry Foote
- NFL free agency grades and reactions: Looking at Arizona Cardinals and their moves [podcast]
- Twitter conversation between Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cormartie might not mean anything after all
- NFL free agency: Who are the winners and losers? Arizona Cardinals not mentioned