It was already reported that the Arizona Cardinals were going to sign former Arizona State Sun Devil LeQuan Lewis to a two-year contract. The team announced that signing and that, in addition to Lewis, they also signed cornerback Eddite Whitley to a two-year deal.
Whitley (6-0, 188) has been with the Eagles, 49ers and Cowboys since entering the league with Dallas in 2012 as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Virginia Tech. He spent two weeks on the New Orleans practice squad this past postseason after he signed with the team on January 1. Following his release by the Cowboys as a rookie, he spent time on the San Francisco and Philadelphia practice squads in 2012. Whitley was released by the Eagles following training camp last year in the team's final roster cut. While at Virginia Tech, Whitley received second-team All-ACC honors as a senior after he had 83 tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble.
These players will likely be nothing more than camp bodies, but there is always an outside chance that they can impress someone. It would probably have to be on special teams. Whitley is also eligible for the practice squad. Lewis might not be, having already played in eight games in 2012.
- Arizona Cardinals free agency work ranked 5th in NFL
- Steve Keim: John Carlson a better fit at TE for Arizona Cardinals than Jimmy Graham
- 'Fantastic' Tyrann Mathieu 'really ahead of schedule' in recovery from knee injury
- 2014 NFL Draft: Arizona Cardinals 'happy' with all three QBs they have
- How Roger Kingdom will help the Arizona Cardinals with speed