Byrd (6-4, 220) spent the 2013 season on injured reserve after playing in three games as a rookie in 2012. Giordano (6-4, 260) spent his entire rookie season on the Physically Unable to Perform list after he signed as a rookie free agent out of Cincinnati.
While it was not noted, it would not be surprising if the two still were having health issues. It is commonplace to waive players who aren't healthy during the offseason -- as it cannot be done during the season without an injury settlement.
The moves do not necessarily mean more transactions are coming in the near future. The team still needs to fills its 90-man offseason roster, but that will happen more after the draft, when the team can add rookie free agents.
- 2014 NFL Draft: Zach Mettenberger scouting report and fit with Arizona Cardinals
- 2014 NFL mock draft: Arizona Cardinals add to devastating secondary, reach for a QB
- Andre Ellington among worst RBs at dropping passes
- Steve Keim: John Carlson a better fit at TE for Arizona Cardinals than Jimmy Graham
- Arizona Cardinals free agency work ranked 5th in NFL