As we have been doing for the last couple of weeks, we are focusing on a jersey number. Today is jersey number 77, but it is a little different.
Number 77 is retired. The number belonged to Stan Mauldin.
Mauldin was a member of the Chicago Cardinals. He played there from 1946-48 as a tackle. He was a part of the one championship the franchise had in 1947 and then his career came to a screeching halt.
After the one game he played in 1948, against the Philadelphia Eagles, Mauldin suffered a heart attack and died at the age of 27.
His contribution to the team's one title and his tragic death are why the team retired his number.
- Kurt Warner in the Ring of Honor and Arizona Cardinals mini-camp talk on Revenge of the Bird Radio
- Tyrann Mathieu speaking to NFL rookies on Sunday
- Carson Palmer by the numbers: Passing numbers by down and distance
- Julio Jones would take Patrick Peterson over Richard Sherman
- Antonio Cromartie believes he, Darrelle Revis are best cornerbacks in the NFL