The Arizona Cardinals did a little bit of roster churning on Wednesday as they added a running back and released a receiver. The team announced they cut ties with receiver Kevin Smith, an undrafted rookie, and signed running back Damien Thigpen, who had a tryout with the team during rookie mini-camp.
Thigpen (5-8, 180) played collegiately at UCLA where he appeared in 38 games with five starts and had 95 carries for 419 yards and three touchdowns, 31 receptions for 267 yards and two touchdowns and 27 kick returns for 640 yards. He also had 18 special teams tackles during his UCLA career.
He is smaller and made a name for himself on special teams. He will have to excel there if he wants a chance to make the roster. Of course, the fourth running back spot is for a specialized back or an outstanding special teams player.
- Arizona Cardinals OTAs observations from Monday
- Arizona Cardinals are done without D-Wash or Dansby...or are they?
- Carson Palmer thinks Michael Floyd is 'going to shock some people' in 2014
- Carson Palmer 'excited' for John Carlson in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals gain salary cap space with passing of June 1