Looking ahead past this season, there is definitely no guarantee that Washington will return. Foote doesn't have long left in the league. It is a position that will need to be addressed, even if Minter is as good as the team believes he will be.
ESPN's Josh Weinfuss recently wrote that the Cardinals "need to find help" at the position beyond this season, as if the need were dire.
While it is a position they need to address, they would want to look at options even if Washington were playing. After all, in the NFL you have to keep looking for the next great player. Injuries, suspensions and decline in performance are all thing you have to consider.
They will want to draft or develop a player, but if Minter is good, then the Cards don't need to force a pick. They could viably go a year or two with a veteran playing until they find their guy. They are doing it at quarterback and they did it with Dansby last year.
Do the Cardinals need to seek long-term help at inside linebacker? Certainly, but they need to do so at almost every other position as well.
- Larry Fitzgerald says Arizona Cardinals 'match up well' with all of NFC West
- How much longer will Larry Fitzgerald be the face of the Arizona Cardinals?
- NFL offseason: Arizona Cardinals counting on John Abraham for more big sack numbers
- Arizona Cardinals roster cuts no enviable decision, says ESPN's Josh Weinfuss
- Carson Palmer stats: Breaking down his numbers by type of dropback