Arizona Cardinals' General Manager, Rod Graves, was named to a new NFL committee consisting of fellow GMs and the purpose of the committee will be to provide advice and other feedback to the NFL Football Operations department. The committee have several areas that they will focus on including:
- Protecting and supporting the integrity of the game
- Expanded use of technology
- Player development and scouting
- Development of innovative ideas to improve the Pro Bowl, scouting combine, draft and preseason.
I’m not sure what, if anything, will come out of this committee other than larger expense reports. One area that I can't wait to see how they change/influence is the first directive: "Protecting and Supporting the Intergrity of the Game." I'd have to think that this is a result of "Spygate," and I don't think the answer to this is an simple as increased security. Another area that I'm sure how they'll influence is "player development and scouting." That could be anywhere from the education and personal development of current players to the size and general practices of team scouting departments. Regardless though, it got me thinking about what I would want to change. Here’s what I came up with off the top of my head:
- Develop some kind of very small camera that can be mounted to the front of a quarterback or middle linebacker's helmet. The "QB Cam" would be an instant hit.
- I'd move the scouting combine each season. There's no reason that it should be in Indy every year and any team with a dome should be in the rotation. The combine should also be open to the public.
- I really like the changes that they made this past season and I'd look for more ways to shorten the draft. I also wouldn't mind seeing more players in the 'green room.'
- I'd cut the preseason down to at least three games, if not two. If teams want to see more of their younger players they can schedule multiple scrimmages with other teams.
That's everything I could think of off the top of my head. What changes would you want to make, anything is fair game?