At the NFL Scouting Combine, among the many tests there are, the one that fans don't get to see are the interviews. Players talk to many teams and teams talk to a whole bunch of players as a part of the process.
Mike Jurecki reported that the team was one of 16 to meet with LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger.
The Cardinals are on the record as saying that they are pleased with the group of quarterbacks they already have (Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton ad Ryan Lindley) and that they would have to be "in love with" a guy to draft him at the position.
Is this a case of due diligence? Or is there genuine interest? Mettenberger will be able to be had later in the draft, seeing that he is recovering from a torn ACL. He has the physical skills that Bruce Arians likes to have.
Arizona is going to roll in2014 with Carson Palmer, which makes you think that they won't take a QB in the first couple of rounds of the draft. Those picks are guys the team wants to play and use immediately. But could they select Mettenberger to stash for a year and let his knee completely heal?
If he is available later in the draft, would you take him? In what round?
- NFL free agency: Arizona Cardinals reportedly have made multi-year offer to Karlos Dansby
- 2014 NFL Draft: Ranking the top 5 cornerbacks
- 2014 NFL mock draft: Blake Bortles at the top, Arizona Cardinals get OL help
- NFL Combine: Anthony Barr's bench press low, but believes he could be No. 1 overall pick
- 2014 NFL Combine results: WRs that fit the size/speed combo for Arizona Cardinals