If you are reading this, it means you are likely an Arizona Cardinals fan. That means that you are sort of a rare breed. Why? It turns out that the Arizona Cardinals are one of the least popular teams in the NFL.
An article on fivethirtyeight.com gives some data about fandom and professional teams, using search data from the Internet. When it comes to the NFL, the Cardinals are the third least searched team, ahead of only the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars.
They are searched on Google less than half than what is the average for all NFL teams.
This shouldn't be surprising.
The Cardinals, despite being a very, very old franchise, has historically been terrible. It has been in Arizona for less than thirty years, so it has neither the national draw, nor does it have the deeply rooted history locally.
Things are changing. The team has had success, but it still pales in popularity overall. How often do you see a Cardinals jersey outside of Arizona? It's rare.
So what does that mean? It just mean that you are one of a kind.
- 2014 NFL Draft: Zach Mettenberger scouting report and fit with Arizona Cardinals
- 2014 NFL mock draft: Arizona Cardinals add to devastating secondary, reach for a QB
- Andre Ellington among worst RBs at dropping passes
- Steve Keim: John Carlson a better fit at TE for Arizona Cardinals than Jimmy Graham
- Arizona Cardinals free agency work ranked 5th in NFL