Is that a fair expectation?
Here are the players picked 20th overall over the past few years:
2007: CB Aaron Ross, Giants
2008: CB Aqib Talib, Bucs
2009: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Lions
2010: CB Kareem Jackson, Texans
2011: DE Adrian Clayborn, Bucs
2012: WR Kendall Wright, Titans
2013: G Kyle Long, Bears
Long was a fantastic pick last year for Chicago, making he Pro Bowl as a rookie. Wright, in his second year, caught 94 passes for almost 1100 yards, but only two TDs. He did, though, torch Patrick Peterson.
Clayborn had 5.5 sacks last year and 7.5 sacks his rookie season.
Jackson has a starter for four seasons so far. He picked off four passes in 2012.
Pettigrew has not put up great numbers the past two years, but had a very good 2011, catching 83 passes.
Talib has become a top cornerback, while Ross has only been a full-time starter in two seasons since coming into the league.
So can Arizona get an impact player? Definitely. These players haven't been game-changing, but several have been good contributors.
What type of impact do you hope for from the 20th pick in 2014?
- Arizona Cardinals a possible match for Mike Glennon
- 2014 NFL Draft: Who are the top inside linebackers?
- 2014 NFL mock draft: Teddy Bridgewater 'feels right' for Arizona Cardinals
- 2014 NFL predictions: How will the Arizona Cardinals fare in the season's 4 quarters?
- Michael Bidwill talks draft party, NFL Draft, Pro Bowl and Super Bowl, Steve Keim, schedule