The Arizona Cardinals began their mandatory mini-camp and rookie tight end Troy Niklas was found off to the side where he had been during OTAs. This time, though, there was a difference. He had a cast on his hand.
Niklas had been recovering from offseason hernia surgery. He has a second injury from which to recover -- a broken right hand.
Apparently, he got his finger twisted in a jersey past week and broke his hand.
So he will not be participating in mini-camp. Head coach Bruce Arians said he would be ready to go for training camp, which will begin sometime at the end of July.
The injury is unfortunate, but since the real work is in training camp once pads go on, there is no reason to be too alarmed. Of course, this is a very Kevin Kolb-like injury, so one would hope that these sort of freakish things do not continue with the 6-6, 270-pound tight end.
- Arizona Cardinals possibly using safeties at linebacker in some packages
- Arizona Cardinals to use one field for mini-camp, expecting players to return
- Arizona Cardinals news 6/9: RB depth chart, mini-camp
- 92 days until kickoff: Who has worn No. 92?
- Fantasy football review of Arizona Cardinals tight ends