The media met with Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians and quarterback Carson Palmer after the team's morning walkthrough. Here are some of the highlights.
- The injury situation didn't really change. Darnell Dockett, who sat out Friday's practice, was just given a veteran's day off. However, receiver John Brown will be out today for Fan Fest. He is disappointed.
- Arians was asked again about the right side of the offensive line. He feels really good about where they are at. He said that Earl Watford, who is on the second team, is having a great camp, but that Paul Fanaika is simply not giving up the starting job and has been very good. Arians agreed that Fanaika has been the most underrated part of that line.
- Arians expressed some disappointment that Jonathan Cooper has come along as quickly as was hoped. He said it is just rust, but he hasn't shown he is the special player they were expecting. He also said that Watford is pushing Cooper.
- Watford and Philip Blake swapped sides of the offensive line. It was just for flexibility. Blake had been playing left guard and Watford on the right side. Watford moved to the left and Blake to the right for practice on Friday.
- There was a lot of Drew Stanton talk. Arians said that the preseason will be Stanton's regular season. Arians said also that he would be comfortable with Stanton in there should Palmer go down and that there wouldn't be really any changes. Palmer still leans on Stanton and they talk a lot about football and the offense.
- Palmer talked about Fanaika as well. Fanaika is a quiet guy, but more comfortable than a season ago. He is all about football and family and that's it. Fanaika doesn't enjoy talking to the media or being in the spotlight, as much as, as Palmer said, Lyle Sendlein or Darnell Dockett.
- Palmer said that Jared Veldheer was given the nickname "Big Serious" in Oakland.
Practice starts at 2 PM today. Are you coming out? It will be like most other practices, but will end with a full-speed goalline session with tackling.
Then the players will sign autographs.
More to come...
More from Revenge of the Birds
- Arizona Cardinals cut K Hrapmann, T Brandon, sign OT Max Starks
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: TE Darren Fells gets praise from Bruce Arians
- Patrick Peterson glad to be paid, wants to win, 'can redefine the position'
- Is Bruce Arians already adapting his offense?
- 2014 NFL training camp: Arizona Cardinals 'really won't have' a second and third string RB