The Arizona Cardinals will host the Houston Texans on Saturday to open the preseason. With 88 players on the roster, the coaching staff has to manage playing time to get some game tape on them for their own evaluation purposes and so that the players can get that game tape for other teams as well.
Who will play and who will not play for the Cardinals?
There are three players out with injury: Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu are still on PUP, so they are ineligible to play. Center Lyle Sendlein will also miss the game with a calf injury that should keep him out another two weeks.
In the battle for third quarterback, rookie Logan Thomas will get the third-team reps. Ryan Lindley is not expected to play.
In the battle for the kicking job, Jay Feely gets the night off and undrafted rookie Chandler Catanzaro will get the kicking duties -- field goals, extra points (which are from 33 yards for the first two preseason games) and kickoffs.
Head coach Bruce Arians indicated the starters will go about 15 plays, so maybe a series or two on both sides of the ball. The second and third teams will get the rest of the game -- about 90 percent of the plays is what Arians expects.
For the Texans, Andre Johnson and Arian Foster are not expected to play. Neither is cornerback Jonathan Joseph. No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney might, but head coach Bill O'Brien is not revealing his plan.
- Highlights from Aeneas Williams' Pro Football Hall of Fame speech
- Arizona Cardinals news 8/3: Hall of Fame Cardinal and Fan Fest
- 2014 NFL training camp: Arizona Cardinals claim Trevardo Williams off waivers
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Observations from Fan Fest
- Drew Stanton, 'the perfect guy' as No. 2 QB, still has 'goal to be a starting quarterback'