The Arizona Cardinals will get a boost this week. Veteran linebacker John Abraham, who left the team last week to decide his future in the NFL, has informed the team he will return and continue his career.
Abraham has had an eventful few months. He has reportedly been suffering from severe memory loss for the last year. He was arrested in Georgia and charged with DUI. He entered a rehab facility, missing the first three weeks of training camp.
Then, in the season opener, he suffered a concussion and left the game in the second half.
The head injury apparently was enough to make him think about whether he wanted to continue his NFL career and he left the team, despite lofty goals for this year. Head coach Bruce Arians told the media last week Abraham told him he was having a hard time getting up for the game and getting his head with the game action.
In the offseason, he said he wanted to get 20 sacks this year and he also has a career milestone to reach. With 8.5 more sacks, he would move into the top-five all time in sacks, passing Michael Strahan.
Arians told the media on Monday he wasn't worried about Abraham's motivation moving forward.
Abraham, although he has not yet registered even a pressure in his one game, will be a welcome sight on the defense. The Cardinals have mustered only two sacks in two games.
He still has to go through the league's concussion protocol. He was set to go through final concussion testing on Monday, according to AZCardinals.com's Darren Urban. Assuming he is cleared, he is expected to be in the starting lineup on Sunday at home against the San Francisco 49ers.