Last week, SB Nation's Dan Kadar ran a mock draft scenario in which Florida State QB Jameis Winston fell to the Jets. In that mock draft, the Arizona Cardinals took a right tackle with the 24th pick of the draft.
In Kadar's latest simulation for the firs round, Winston is taken first overall by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Cardinals look to the defensive side of the ball with their firs selection in the draft.
In this mock, Arizona takes Mississippi State linebacker Benardrick McKinney.
Larry Foote may have played more snaps than any front seven player for the Cardinals this season, but he's a free agent and will be 35 at the start of next season. McKinney is an explosive middle linebacker with range and athleticism. He's not perfect in coverage, but he could easily be coached up in that area.
McKinney is 6-5, 249 pounds and ran a 4.5 40-yard dash coming out of high school. His 2014 season earned him the following honors:
- 2014 First Team All-American: ESPN, FWAA, Phil Steele, Sports Illustrated
- 2014 Second Team All-American: Associated Press, Sporting News, Walter Camp
- 2014 First Team All-SEC: Coaches
- 2014 Second Team All-SEC: Associated Press
- 2014 Bednarik Award Semifinalist
- 2014 Butkus Award Semifinalist
- 2014 Lombardi Award Semifinalist
Arizona has not seen much production out of 2013 second round pick Kevin Minter. There is uncertainty whether the team will bring back Daryl Washington.
Would Mcinney be a good fit for the Cardinals?