Well, in the SB Nation writer mock draft, the Arizona Cardinals second round pick will be revealed. I have made that pick. My first round pick was not popular when I went with Preston Smith.
In fact, among all the first round picks in the blogger mock, my pick was graded the lowest by readers, giving it a solid C.
I personally like Smith and his fit for the Cardinals, especially since you likely aren't going to get an elite sack artist at that point in the draft anyway. The player has to offer something else. A guy that compares to someone like Justin Tuck isn't a bad choice. If he gets you 8-10 sacks, that's fantastic.
However, the second round pick for the Cardinals is here. Based on Dan Kadar's big board, here is who is available.
32. P.J. Williams, 6'0, 196 pounds, CB, Florida State
42. Benardrick McKinney, 6'5, 249 pounds, ILB, Mississippi State
45. Michael Bennett, 6'2, 288 pounds, DT, Ohio State
47. Tevin Coleman, 6'1, 210 pounds, RB, Indiana
50. Markus Golden, 6'2 1/4, 255 pounds, DE, Missouri
52. Quinten Rollins, 5'11, 193 pounds, CB, Miami (OH)
54. Devin Funchess, 6'5, 230 pounds, WR, Michigan
55. Ameer Abdullah, 5'8 1/4, 198 pounds, RB, Nebraska
56. Grady Jarrett, 6'0 7/8, 288 pounds, DT, Clemson
59. Ronald Darby, 5'11, 195 pounds, CB, Florida State
60. Lorenzo Mauldin, 6'3 5/8, 256 pounds, OLB/DE, Louisville
62. Alex Carter, 6'0, 202 pounds, CB, Stanford
65. Laken Tomlinson, 6'3 1/4, 323 pounds, G, Duke
66. Hau'oli Kikaha, 6'2 1/2, 246 pounds, OLB/DE, Washington
67. Ellis McCarthy, 6'5, 325 pounds, DT, UCLA
68. Nate Orchard, 6'3 1/4, 251 pounds, OLB/DE, Utah
I could go a number of ways. There are "need" positions at the top of the board here. There is Williams, who some think could develop into the best CB in the draft. He is good in press man, which we think the Cardinals will continue to do with James Bettcher.
I could go with McKinney at ILB.
I could go with Coleman or Abdullah at running back, and we know the Cards have given Coleman a look.
Michael Bennett would also be a good fit.
I could also double up on the edge going either with Markus Golden or Lorenzo Mauldin.
Which player would you pick?