The Arizona Cardinals are wrapping up one of the most disappointing seasons in team history. They came in with Super Bowl ambitions, and now the Cardinals are looking at a top 15 draft pick. Through 15 weeks the team has been one step behind on nearly every play.
That was no different in the Cardinals week 15 matchup against the New Orleans Saints. While the offense was electric, missed plays and crucial turnovers were the story once again. While the Cardinals look forward to Seattle, we look back one more time at this past weekend and some of the more advanced numbers behind their loss.
- Carson Palmer played his best game of the season in the losing effort to the Saints. Palmer’s QB rating when under pressure was 127.8. Palmer completed 8 of 12 passes 10-19 yards downfield with one touchdown. Palmer completed 2 of 6 deep passes including one for a touchdown and had another touchdown dropped by JJ Nelson.
- As a runner David Johnson provided 31 yards after contact, 2 touchdowns and forced one missed tackle. As a receiver Johnson was targeted 5 times and caught 4 of them. He also added 25 yards after the catch and Carson Palmer’s QB rating when throwing to Johnson was 112.5. Johnson saw numerous double coverages throughout the game as well.
- Larry Fitzgerald caught 7 of his 9 targets and added 23 yards after the catch. Fitzgerald’s run blocking was even more impressive as his 82.9 run blocking grade ranked No. 1 among all wide receivers in Week 15. Fitzgerald also had a fumble.
- J.J. Nelson saw a team-high 11 targets but only caught 5 and dropped two including one that would have been a touchdown.
- John Brown caught 5 of his 6 targets from Carson Palmer including a touchdown. He added 25 yards after the catch and Palmer’s QB rating when throwing Brown’s way was 158.3.
- Patrick Peterson was thrown at 5 times and allowed 4 catches including a touchdown. Drew Brees had QB rating of 132.9 when throwing Peterson’s way.
- Calais Campbell had 2 sacks and 3 hurries on 35 pass-rushing snaps to earn a team-high 81.8 pass-rushing grade. He played lights out in possibly his last home game.
- Markus Golden had one strip sack and one hurry on his 31 pass-rushing snaps and earned a 74.0 pass-rushing grade.
- Brandon Williams was thrown at 9 times and allowed 5 catches for 46 yards and 1 touchdown. He broke up one pass but Drew Brees had a 106.7 QB rating when throwing at Brandon Williams.
- Chandler Jones had one hit and one hurry on his 41 pass-rush snaps. He also added 3 run stops. In coverage Jones was thrown at 3 times and allowed 3 catches but for only 8 yards.
What stands out to you? With two weeks left in the season, we’re getting closer to debating Draft Season.