Hey Cards Fans!
Cards play the Miami Dolphins this week in the last early game of the regular season.
When on business several years ago in an area just east of the airport called Little Havana, I found a little spot to grab a bite and a beer. It is there I tried my first Cubano sandwich. What a great sammie! And sooo easy to make!
Cardinals are going to be stacking up points and yards this game, and we will be stackin up sandwiches. Both will be winners.
The Active Roster
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped oregano (fresh if you have it)
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 small chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Pork tenderloin in a bag (one of the larger ones and have the butcher slice lengthwise 3/8" thick slabs and then in half)
- 6 Italian hoagie rolls
- 1/3 cup whole grain mustard
- 6 dill pickles, thinly sliced (or use sandwich stackers)
- 16 ounces shaved deli ham
- 12- 18 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 Large sheet pan and 6 bricks for pressing
Make the marinade by combining the citrus juices, oregano, garlic, the cumin and chopped onion in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the olive oil.
Place the pork into a Ziploc plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Allow pork to marinate for 30 to 40 minutes at room temperature. When marinated, remove from the bag onto a platter and pour the marinade into a sauce pan. Heat to a boil then remove from heat and set aside.
The Game Plan
Start the grill and heat to Medium
When ready, Grill the pork slices, basting with the marinade during the process until cooked through and marked nicely. Remove pork from grill but don’t turn off the heat.
Lets build them sammies!
First, spread a thin layer of the mustard onto the bread. Add 3-5 pickle slices, about 3 ounces of ham and a slice, or more of pork.
Top with 3 slices of the cheese. And put on the top half of the roll. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
Lets go back to the grill!
Give it a good brushing.
Remove and cut in half.
Serve with Sweet potato fries
Grab a beer or your favorite rum beverage, Enjoy and