After the first team offense looked primed and ready against the Oakland Raiders, the extended playing time for the offense did not go well.
First Team Offense
After a three and out on the first series, the offense got a second series this week and it set up to be their last. A great punt planted the offense at the two yard line and Palmer and the boys needed 98 yards for paydirt.
After a great throw to Jaron Brown for 23 yards to give the Arizona Cardinals some breathing room, Palmer took a 2-5 snap and promptly threw a pick six.
Palmer got one more three and out, but that ended the first team, well led by Carson Palmer, day.
Palmer played 11 plays. Went 4-for-8 for 37 yards and an interception.— Darren Urban (@Cardschatter) August 20, 2016
First Team Offense with Stanton
The concerns over Drew Stanton will continue, rightfully so, for another week. Stanton threw his second interception of the season, this time missing a wide open J.J. Nelson by a good five feet.
The offense as a whole was stagnant in the first team, I don't really want to talk about it anymore.
When Jared Veldheer is getting bullied, it is just a bad day at the office.
How did Drew Stanton not fumble this? https://t.co/QchIHPsrPv— Scott Howard (@ScottHoward42) August 20, 2016
First Team Defense
The Arizona Cardinals defense, the first team defense looked good. Despite giving up 10 points, zero were really on them.
Cardinals defense has done its job. Arizona offense scoring for the Chargers.— Kent Somers (@kentsomers) August 20, 2016
Markus Golden got beat on the edge for the first play of the game for a 12 yards Melvin Gordon gain, but then they got some pressure on the next play and then Josh Mauro ended the drive with the Cardinals first sack by the first unit in the preseason.
The Arizona Cardinals first team defense forced another quick drive from the Chargers, but the Chargers punter, Drew Kaser was doing work.
Brandon Williams got extended time again, he didn't have a lot of success against Keenan Allen, but he made several nice plays later in the game.
That was it for the first teams, it was an ugly, ugly game from the offense, the defense continues to look great, but they need someone to help them out.
Other Highlights and Lowlights:
- The quarterback situation sans Palmer continues to look... Less than optimal.
- There were a lot of drops by receivers in this game. When your quarterback is struggling, they need your help.
- The Chargers have a nice stable of pass rushers, they lack the top end guy though, I am guessing they'd like that Joey Bosa guy.
- Mike Bercovici looks good. He is in an offense that fits his skills, big arm, ability to push the ball down the field, so it makes sense that his game is translating.
- Marqui Christian will likely make this team. He has missed some opportunities at big plays though.
- Darren Fells after struggling in game one of the preseason committed two penalties in big situations. I think he makes this roster, but he is not having a good preseason.
- Drew Butler was solid, coverage was slightly better at times.
Arians: LB Alex Okafor has a torn biceps tendon. Trying to decide if he'll have surgery.— Darren Urban (@Cardschatter) August 20, 2016