The Arizona Cardinal won in dominating fashion on Sunday afternoon. Statistically the Cardinals dominated in every facet of the game. That domination also includes some of the more advanced analytics. This year we will begin to bring you some of those more advanced numbers. Revenge of the Birds and Pro Football Focus have partnered up this season to bring our readers some of the more interesting numbers from the teams games this season.
So without further ado, here are this weeks PFF stats:
- The Buccaneers targeted Marucs Cooper 12 times once he entered the game in lieu of Brandon Williams. Cooper allowed seven completions for 70 yards, but also intercepted two passes. Cooper lead all Cardinals DB's with a 79.9 coverage grade, and held Jameis Winston a quarterback rating of 35.4 when throwing his way.
- Tony Jefferson was once again a threat against the run. In two weeks, Jefferson has been credited with seven stops against the run. He's graded as the best run stopping safety at 14.9%. (Explanation for that statistic Here) Most impressive about those seven stops is that they have all come while he's lined up eight yards from the line of scrimmage.
- Last season, Tyrann Mathieu played deep free safety on ony 8.4% of his snaps all season. Through two weeks this season, Mathieu has played the position on 74% of his snaps. That's likely to change as he gets healthier, but expect to see him back there for a little while longer.
- Larry Fitzgerald is the second best receiver graded by Pro Football Focus so far this year. He trails Stefon Diggs by 2%. However, when Cardinals quarterbacks are throwing to Larry Fitzgerald, their quarterback rating is 134.3 for the season.
- Through 16 games last season, Carson Palmer was the best Quarterback under pressure. His 72.4 accuracy percentage was best in the league. This season he's ranked 24th through two weeks, sitting at a 52.4 accuracy percentage. (Definition for that stat Here)
- David Johnson has been a monster to start the season. Last season David Johnson made 18 defenders miss on their tackles. That was through 16 games, five as a starter. In two games this season, he has forced 11 missed tackles.
Some interesting numbers to start your work week after an Arizona Cardinals victory!