There is plenty of football remaining in the 2017 NFL season but the Arizona Cardinals playoff hopes are fading...
Carson Palmer will have surgery on his broken left arm and miss eight weeks.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 22, 2017
With Carson Palmer out for, pretty much, the remainder of the season, Drew Stanton will be the starting quarterback for the Cardinals for now. Even with Palmer getting a second opinion, he will still miss an extended period of time. Although Stanton has a starting record of 6-3 with the team, his inaccuracies and inconsistencies are not promising. I know we all want to see Blaine Gabbert start, at least I do anyways, but Bruce Arians makes a good point:
“I’ll stick with Drew,” he said after the game. “Because he’s our No. 2. I don’t skip two to get to three.”
The trade for Adrian Peterson gave the Cardinals a brief glimmer of hope but the embarrassing loss to the Rams goes to show that one player can’t make all the difference. Even with all of the struggles and frustrations of the Cardinals season, there are some positives in light of their current situation:
Here are some of the positives:
- Antoine Bethea is not a washed-up veteran
- Although 33 years old, Bethea leads the Cardinals with three interceptions.
- He remains excellent in pass coverage and run defense, allowing a 44.4 passer rating according to Pro Football Focus
- Though many don’t see it, he is a significant upgrade of D.J. Swearinger
- PFF Grade: 86.4
- Larry Fitzgerald is an ageless wonder
- Currently second in the league in receptions (45)
- He is approaching 1,200 career catches and 15,000 career receiving yards.
- This season could be his last, but he is putting on a show for the Cardinals.
- Chandler Jones worthy of his $83 million contract
- Currently has 29 tackles, eight sacks, and a forced fumble in seven games.
- Entering the Rams game, he had 11 tackles for loss and 33 quarterback pressures, most among all edge defenders according to Pro Football Focus.
- PFF Grade: 83.8
- Patrick Peterson is the most-feared cornerback in the NFL
- He has allowed only seven catches for 82 yards this season
- One of the least targeted cornerbacks in the NFL
I want the Arizona Cardinals to finish the season strong, in spite of all of the negativity. The Cardinals are 3-4 and are not out of the NFC West race just yet. The Rams and Seahawks are 5-2 and 4-2 respectively. The season isn’t over, but the loss of Palmer will be difficult to overcome.