This past week, the Arizona Cardinals lost three of their starters in the defensive backfield to free agency. Tony Jefferson signed with the Baltimore Ravens, D.J. Swearinger signed with the Washington Redskins, and Marcus Cooper signed with the Chicago Bears. All three signed multi-year deals with their respective teams.
There are plenty of talented defensive backs remaining in free agency. No need to worry.
Let’s take a look at some names the Cardinals should consider signing:
- Davon House: The former Jacksonville Jaguar had a breakout campaign with 23 pass breakups and 4 interceptions in 2015. He was benched for most of the 2016 season but his size, 6’0’’ 200lbs, and speed, 4.37 40yd dash, are intriguing.
- Morris Claiborne: Had a breakout campaign in 2016 with the Dallas Cowboys but was cut short due to sports hernia. Reunite the LSU defensive backs?
- Darius Butler: Played under Bruce Arians with Colts in 2013.
- Jerraud Powers: He knows the Cardinals’ playbook. Maybe bring him back?
- Rashad Johnson: Played with Cardinals in 2009-15. Had a breakout 2015 season with 5 interceptions.
Notable Names: Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers, Terence Newman, Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Alterraun Verner, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Williams