JKH included this in his 53 man roster projection, but I liked the work and wanted to give it its own page that would allow it to be discussed.
One of the things that is critically under covered is the practice squad and J has done that, so I would love to see it talked about more.
Here is his 2017 Arizona Cardinals practice squad projections
- Jonathan McLauglin - Offensive Tackle (rookie)
- Ricky Seals-Jones - Tight End (rookie)
- Tre'Von Johnson - Outside Linebacker (rookie)
- Scooby Wright - Inside Linebacker (2nd year player)
- Ryan Lewis - Cornerback (rookie)
- Trevor Knight - Quarterback (rookie)
- Alex Carter - Cornerback (3rd year player)
- Troymaine Pope - Running Back (2nd year player)
- Malachi Dupre - Wide Receiver (rookie)
- Austin Rehkow - Punter (rookie)
The practice squad is comprised of 60% of players already on the roster, with 4 players coming from different rosters. I think that the player who will probably be sought out the most from my list is Scooby Wright, just because I personally think he is a great developmental inside linebacker. We would be lucky to have him back, if not Scooby, look for Arizona to look at Alani Fua or Gabe Martin for the practice squad. It's equal, half offense, half defense.
Alex Carter is currently listed as the sixth corner (Darius Slay, D.J. Hayden, Jalen Tabor, Nevin Lawson, Quandre Diggs ahead of him), which isn't good for a third-round pick, so I think the Cardinals would be hard-pressed to not give him a look. Troymaine Pope is in a VERY crowded Seattle Seahawks backfield, why not take a weapon from Seattle? Malachi Dupre was heavily wanted by Cards fans, I like his hands, if only he didn't catch so much with his body. And like previously mentioned, a special teams guy. Austin Rehkow was surprisingly not selected, the rookie has a strong leg, we should take advantage of it, just in case Wile doesn't work out.