As the summer trudges along, we at the Draft Breakdown Podcast have taken a look back at 2014 and are trying to learn from the mistakes of it.
A couple of weeks ago we talked about what Justin and I have learned since the 2014 draft, but what about others?
In 2014, Brendan Leister was a writer at a number of outlets with dreams of working in football.
He and Justin ran the now defunct DraftBrowns website, and with the Browns always picking early, not a bad site to run.
He charted nearly every throw from every day one and senior prospect in that draft.
Now, Brendan works in football, as the quarterback coach at Hiram College, but the early lumps he took helped him form a greater opinion and understanding.
Here’s what we talked about.
A. QB Talk
1. Why Johnny Manziel > Teddy Bridgewater?
2. Why didn't we buy Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo hype after the SR Bowl?
3. What was the deal with Brett Smith? What did people see and why did his supporters dig their heels in?
4. How did we know Zach Mettenberger was a late round guy?
B. Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry
1. Should OBJ have been WR1?
2. Was Landry criticism after the combine fair? (He was my 57th overall player FYI)
C. Hits and Misses
1. Looking back, was Aaron Donald a better prospect than Jadeveon Clowney?
2. Were Zack Martin and Joel Bitonio better prospects than Greg Robinson?
3. We were high on Carlos Hyde and Isaiah Crowell (Day2). Were we right?
4. What went wrong with Calvin Pryor?
5. What did the Browns see in Christian Kirksey that most others didn't see?