We are through the first 14 picks in the Revenge of the Birds 2018 NFL Mock Draft and the results are... Interesting.
Here are my thoughts on the first 14 picks from your picks in the RotB Mock.
- Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold, QB, USC: No brainer, although someone with cajones would take Lamar “QB1” Jackson.
- New York Giants - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA: This is the right pick, in my opinion. Makes sense, can handle the spotlight, will embrace the challenge to takeover for Eli in a year or two.
- New York Jets - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma: This is where things get interesting. Not saying this is wrong, but again, I am taking Lamar, but I agree on not taking the other guy.
- Cleveland Browns - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State: I would have taken Bradley Chubb and laughed all the way to the bank. Is Barkley fantastic? Yes, but look at the Cardinals in 2016. A historic year from David Johnson and... 7-8-1. You need too many other important positions. Chubb gives you a potentially dominant defense.
- Denver Broncos - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming: Should have been Nelson.
- Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina St: Homerun here.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame: Back-to-back for the fans.
- Chicago Bears - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech: This is a great pick, can’t go wrong with any of the next three guys.
- San Francisco 49ers - Harold Landry, DE, Boston College: This is the guy I didn’t want the 49ers to get. Landry is going to be a pass rushing dynamo.
- Oakland Raiders - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia: Another great pick.
- Miami Dolphins - Vita Vea, DT, Washington: Is Vea a good player. Yes. Is a player who doesn’t play 50% of snaps and doesn’t offer much in terms of pass rush a top 11 player? No.
- Buffalo Bills - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville: Bills get the best player in the draft.
- Washington Redskins - Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama: I like Fitzpatrick, but we saw last year the NFL values players like Derwin James more than true safeties. However, if you think Minkah can play cornerback at a high level, this is a great pick.
- Green Bay Packers - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State: Best corner in the draft. Packers have really nailed this offseason.
Good work from the fans. I can’t complain too much, biggest gripes are picks four and five, but I understand them... Just don’t agree.
Best available heading into the Cardinals selection tomorrow (My board in no order)?
- Derwin James, S, Florida State
- Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
- Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
- Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
- Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
- Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
- Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise St
- James Daniels, C, Iowa
- Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
- Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
- Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
- Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
We’ll pare this down tomorrow, removing the RB’s and some of the interior offensive lineman.
What do you think?