With the NFL season still a good 100 plus days from starting, let’s look at five storylines to watch and my answers before training camp begins, that way we can revisit them during and after camp.
- Josh Rosen and quarterback one: Will Rosen be able to ascend to the top of the quarterback depth chart by the end of training camp? It’s the obvious question, one that won’t change before July, but it is the biggest question to watch. Answer: Rosen finishes the camp and preseason as the second quarterback and starts his first game in early October.
- Who emerges at wide receiver: We haven’t heard much about the Cardinals wide receiver corps, but you can be sure that will change soon. Right now, rookie Christian Kirk is expected to play a big role, but keep an eye on second year wideout Chad Williams. In my opinion, Williams will cement himself as the top option opposite Larry Fitzgerald to start the season.
- Cornerback two: This is a tough one because for my money, the starter opposite Patrick Peterson is not on the roster. However, with what is on the roster, I’ll say that Peterson and Jamar Taylor start, with Taylor moving inside and Brandon Williams emerging as the CB3 but the outside corner opposite Peterson for most of the snaps.
- What’s Markus Golden have? I think Golden us a talented player needing to find his way in a new defense, coming off a knee injury. I think that makes this a tough one. What I think happens is Benson Mayowa starts the season outside, with Golden working his way in slowly via pass rushing downs, and reclaiming the starting spot by week six.
- Is this team a contender: This is the hardest question to ask and answer because we honestly have no idea. However, I think the Cardinals are going to be a good team who compete in a lot of games, but lose more than they win. Right now, I think the Cardinals are 6-10, but I think they’re a better team than their record will show.
How would you answer?