By restructuring Chandler Jones’ contract, the Cardinals have added $4M to the $7M in cap space they already have.
Something’s cooking, y’think?
What could it be?
Grand Slam: trading for T Trent Williams.
- Williams’ PFF grades the past 3 years: 74.0, 82.6, 92.7
- Williams’ 2019 salary: $10.8M (might be less for having already missed 2 games)
- Williams’ 2020 salary: $12.5M
- Williams’ age/year of NFL experience: 31, heading into 10th season.
- Pro Bowls: 7
- Nickname: “Silverback”
- College: Oklahoma
- Scheme Fit: Outstanding. Williams is one of the best pass blocking LTs in the NFL.
Grand Slam: trading for CB Jalen Ramsey.
- Ramsey’s PFF grades the past three years: 72.8, 91.3, 72.8.
- Ramsey’s 2019 salary: $3.6M (minus two games)
- Ramsey’s 2020 salary: $13.7M (5th year option)
- Ramsey’s age/years of NFL experience: 24, 4th year.
- Pro Bowls: 2
- 1st team All-Pro: 2017
- College: Florida St.
- Scheme Fit: Outstanding: Ramsey is proto-type (physical, athletic, aggressive) press CB that Vance Joseph’s defense requires.
2 Run Double: claiming DE Taco Charlton
- Charlton’s PFF grades the past 2 years: 61.3, 64.3.
- Charlton’s 2019 salary: $1.3M
- Charlton’s 2020 salary: $1.3M
- Charlton’s age/years of NFL experience: 24, 3rd season.
- College: Michigan St.
- Player Comparison Coming into NFL (per Lance Zierlein): Chandler Jones
Possible Base Hits:
- TE Luke Willson—-highest PFF grade: 72.5, 2015. Surprisingly good pass blocking grades, 71.3 last year. At 6-5, 255, career receiving: 102 receptions for 1,216 yards and 11 TDs.
- RB Alfred Morris—-highest PFF grade: 91.0, 2012. 60.3 last year. Career stats: 1,373/5,931/4.3/34td rushing, 65/494/7.6 receiving.
- RB Thomas Rawls—-highest PFF grade: 82.7, 2015. Career stats: 314/1,336/4.3/7td rushing, 31/266/8.6/1td receiving.
- RB Zach Zenner—-highest PFF grade 73.0, 2018. Career stats: 174/685/3.9/8td rushing, 27/263/9.7 receiving.
Highest Potential Impact:
- Acquiring T Trent Williams and signing him to a 2 year contract extension (through the 2022 season) would be the splash move in turning the offensive line into a a team strength. The question is—-would it take the 2020 1st round pick? Or—-would it take a 2nd rounder in 2020 and a 3rd rounder in 2021? The odds of the Cardinals re-signing D.J. Humphries to a lucrative new contract are slim—-so why not reach for the gold ring with Trent Williams.
- Acquiring Jalen Ramsey and signing him to long-term extension would give the Cardinals a shut-down press CB for years to come. It would likely mean that the Cardinals would trade Patrick Peterson, whose contract expires at the end of the 2020 season. if the Cardinals do not think they will be able to sign Peterson to an extension at a salary that both he and the team can agree on, pairing Ramsey with Byron Murphy for the next 4 years would be very exciting. The question is—-would the Cardinals be willing to trade their 1st round pick in 2020, plus another high draft pick or two in order to acquire Ramsey? Patrick Peterson, Robert Alford and Tramaine Brock are 29. 30 and 31 respectively. Ramsey and Murphy are 24 and 21—-what a future they could have in the same secondary, that now has a trio of young talents at safety in Budda Baker, Deionte Thompson and Jalen Thomson.
- Adding Taco Charlton, who could be used in the Alex Okafor inside rusher role, in addition to being used on the edge, could be a low risk/high reward move. Charlton may be able to play 34 DE as well. His PFF run defense grades are good.