If you haven’t heard the song “Basketball Jones,” by Cheech and Chong, it’s a treat:
Let’s face it, when we have the ball in our hands, we could all use” a good pick at the free throw line of life!”
Well, in today’s Off-Season Mock Extraveganza—- the Cardinals reveal their 2020 “pigskin Jones,” inspired by the 2019 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, sack master Chandler Jones.
The truth is the Cardinals need more players like Chandler Jones—-
So why not keep it in the family?
This is not a joke.
Every move here is one that I would praise to high heaven.
I hope Michael Bidwill sees this.
I hope he sees the cunning pattern of this plan.
It’s for real, people. I shigger you not.
2020 Free Agency
- The Cardinals sign 34 DE Chris Jones (6-6, 310, 25, Mississippi St., 5) to a 4 year $76M contract with $54M guaranteed (#19M a year ave.). This aught to have Vance Joseph, Brentson Buckner, Corey Peters and Chandler Jones doing cartwheels.
2. The Cardinals sign CB Byron Jones (6-1, 205, 27, Connecticut, 6) to a 4 year $64M contract with $36M guaranteed ($16M a year ave.). Byron and Byron become the land and air “Lords” of the Cardinals’ secondary.
3. The Cardinals sign C Brett Jones (6-2, 309, 28, Regina, 5) to a 2 year $5M contract with $2M guaranteed. Brett Jones started for the Giants in 2017 next to G/T Justin Pugh and earned an impressive 68.6 PFF grade with an 82.1 pass blocking grade. The Vikings drafted C Garrett Bradbury in the 1st round and thus Jones was the backup. But, Jones was the highest rated C in the NFL during the pre-season, earning the highest grade PFF has ever given a center.
- The Cardinals trade CB Patrick Peterson to the Philadelphia Eagles for a 2020 2nd round pick #53 and CB Sidney Jones (6-0, 181, 23, Washington, 3). Jones was a 1st round prospect in the 2017 draft who ruptured his Achilles during his Pro Day. The Eagles selected him in round 2 and gave him a rehab year. This season Jones started to show flashes of the outstanding All American CB he was at Washington. He earned a 63.5 PFF grade, 68.3 in pass coverage (receivers caught 20 passes on 36 targets, 55%, off Jones for 226 yards and 2 TDs, while picking up 2 interceptions and 5 pass breakups. Sidney Jones would complete the Cardinals’ DBU (Washington Huskies) trio in the secondary with Budda Baker and Byron Murphy.
2. The Cardinals trade the #8 and #53 (from Eagles) picks, plus their 2021 3rd round pick to the Atlanta Falcons for WR Julio Jones (6-3, 220, 30, Alabama, 10). Jones is coming off a 99 catch, 1,394 yard 6 TD season and is signed for the next four years, with cap figures for the Cardinals of $14M in 2020, $18M in 2021 and $14M in 2022 and 2023. There has been some chatter in Atlanta that the Falcons are open to trading QB Matt Ryan and WR Julio Jones in order to embark on a new rebuilding effort. Picking up a 1st and a 2nd round pick from the Cardinals would give them the #8, #16, #47, #53, #55, #78 picks, which would enable them to trade up into the top 5 for their QBOF (Tua Tagovailoa) or stand pat and take a QBOF (Justin Herbert or Jordan Love) at #8. Here is an article about why the Falcons may be considering the trades:
Take a look at this sideline exchange between Larry Fitzgerald and Kyler Murray:
2020 NFL Draft:
#40. The Cardinals select T Josh Jones (6-7, 310, Houston). Jones is an Air Raid LT who has good length, bend and agility.
#72. The Cardinals select S Brandon Jones (6-0, 205, Texas). Jones is a physical dynamo in the secondary who can matchup with TEs. This kid is a baller. Plays like a linebacker.
#114. The Cardinals select DT Benito Jones (6-1, 325, Mississippi St.). Benito Jones has remarkable interior quickness for his size and he can convert that quickness into power. This pick would very much excite fellow Miss. St. bulldog, Chris Jones.
#223. the Cardinals select RB Xavier Jones (5-11, 208, SMU). This kid has some serious wiggle and a knack for making tacklers miss.
2020 baby! The Cardinals are singing “we got the pigskin Jones!”
And. let’s face it, there’s nothing like having the ball in your hands and getting a good block on the 1 yard line of life!