Background: Dec 22, 2019; Seattle, Washington, USA; Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray (1) scrambles with the ball against the Seattle Seahawks during the first half at CenturyLink Field. Mandatory Credit: Steven Bisig
The Atlantic’s Mike Sando (former Cardinals’ beat writer for ESPN) complied the results of the top 35 ranked QBs in the NFL based on the votes of 50 NFL coaches and talent evaluators.
As you will see from the results, the Cardinals’ Kyler Murray received an impressive amount of respect from the voters.
Tier 1: Elite
- T—-Patrick Mahomes, KC; Russell Wilson, SEA
3. Aaron Rodgers, GB
4. Drew Brees, NO
5. Deshaun Watson, HOU
Tier 2: Can Carry Team at Times
6. Tom Brady, TB
7. Lamar Jackson, BAL
8. Ben Roethlisberger, PIT
9. Matthew Stafford, DET
10. Matt Ryan, ATL
11. Carson Wentz, PHI
12. Dak Prescott, DAL
13. Philip Rivers, IND
Tier 3: Legitimate Starter Who May Need Good Running Game and Defense to Win
14. Kyler Murray, ARI
15. Kirk Cousins, MIN
16. Jared Goff, LAR
17. Jimmy Garoppolo, SF
18. Ryan Tannehill, TEN
19. Cam Newton, NE
20. Derek Carr, LV
21. Baker Mayfield, CLE
22. Josh Allen, BUF
23. Teddy Bridgewater, CAR
24. Sam Darnold, NYJ
25. Daniel Jones, NYG
26. Nick Foles, CHI
Tier 4: Unproven Player With Some Upside as Starter or Backup
27. Marcus Mariota, LV
28. Ryan Fitzpatrick, MIA
29. Tyrod Taylor, LAC
30. Drew Lock, DEN
31. Gardner Minshew, JAX
32. Mitch Trubisky, CHI
33. Dwayne Haskins, WAS
34. Jarrett Stidham, NE
35. Kyle Allen, WAS
What’s Noteworthy About Murray’s Evaluation:
- Typically 2nd year QB get ranked in Tier 4 by the coaches and evaluators, as both Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson were going into their 2nd years. But, neither Mahomes nor Jackson started all 16 games as a rookie.
- Highest Paid NFL QBs 2020 in cash:
- Russell Wilson (Seahawks) – $53 million
- Kirk Cousins (Vikings) – $40 million
- Carson Wentz (Eagles) – $39.3 million
- Ryan Tannehill (Titans) – $37.5 million
- Jared Goff (Rams) – $31 million
- Dak Prescott (Cowboys) – $30 million
- Jimmy Garoppolo (49ers) – $25.2 million
- Tom Brady (Buccaneers), Drew Brees (Saints), and Philip Rivers (Colts) – $25 million
- Teddy Bridgewater (Panthers) – $24 million
- Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers) – $21 million
- Kyler Murray in his 2nd year is ranked above 5 of the top 10 highest paid QBs.
- “His movement and escapability drives defenses crazy and he throws the ball deep extremely well,” an offensive coordinator said.
- “I think the kid is going to be really good,” a defensive coach said. “He knows when to run, he knows when to pass, he does not turn the ball over much and that little joker can throw. They are going to be better. I’m not ready to give the kid Tier 2 yet, but I think he is a legitimate starter and he will jump fast.”
- Only 1 QB drafted in the last 3 years (2017, 2018, 2019) is ahead of him in the rankings: Lamar Jackson, and he is coming off an MVP year.
Some of the evaluations for Kyler Murray this off-season have not been especially kind—-see Madden Football and PFF, for example.
However, it must be encouraging for K1 to know that NFL coaches have a very high opinion of him and that, in just his second season, he cracked the NFL top 100 list at #90, per NFL.com.
I think Kyler deserves the encouragement. Do you?