DVOA = Defense-adjusted Value Over Average is the term used by NFL analytics to evaluate offensive and defensive efficiency based on the success of each play in comparison to the league averages.
As Ted Nguyen of The Athletic vividly depicts in great detail the Arizona Cardinals’ offensive DVOA after 5 games this season has improved from 19th in the NFL last season to 6th thus far in 2021. Do yourself a favor and feast on the examples that Ted Nguyen provides in this highly comprehensive analysis:
After regressing last season, the Cardinals offense is currently 8th in DVOA. How their offseason additions solved their problem areas and how Kingsbury and Murray are deploying their weapons.https://t.co/DWON4R0h4D— Ted Nguyen (@FB_FilmAnalysis) October 13, 2021
Some of the improvements that Nguyen points out:
- Upgrades in offensive personnel, particularly at center and wide receiver.
- Creative formations and shifts out of 10, 11 and 12 personnel.
- Spreading the ball around.
- Big upgrades in RACs —- (Run After Catch)
- Kyler Murray delivering key plays from a deep end of the pocket (which also has cost him a few sacks —- improvement needed area)
- Kyler Murray’s pre-snap decision making (with help from Rodney Hudson) and his accuracy throwing the football (albeit at about the same interception rate this season —- improvement needed area).
Cardinals’ Offensive PFF Grades and Rankings:
- Offense Overall: 79.3 (7th)
- Passing Game: 85.4 (6th)
- Pass Blocking: 76.3 (2nd)
- Receiving Grade: 80.2 (2nd)
- Running Game: 65.1 (28th)
- Run Blocking: 62.3 (16th)
Cardinals’ Offensive DVOA: Currently 6th in NFL.
Cardinals’ Defensive DVOA: Currently 4th in NFL.
Cardinals’ Special Teams DVOA: Currently 3rd in NFL.
Team DVOA: Cardinals currently 3rd in NFL.