Today, I wanted to post about perhaps the best defensive fit for Arizona - DT/DE Jer'Zhan Newton.
Here are some reasons why he fits well and would be a good pick (likely starting around pick 7 or 8 depending on where their own pick lands along with the Houston one):
- He plays same position as what they desperately need - 3-4 DE. They've gotten some production from surprises like Dante Stills, but if you watch this team, they could use a playmaker here.
- He has a high motor and he plays the run well.
- Well rated on PFF (we all know this doesn't mean necessarily mean everything - but it's a good sign!) https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1716478837897224537?t=DV-hAPQW-L3VzhohXAZ_cA&s=19
- He's a solid leader and team captain
- Solid penetration and takes over games on a modeling team: https://twitter.com/Jordan_Reid/status/1716235073668669763?t=-tn8WRxiF9OuOO8hvP_WTQ&s=19
- He's a high floor draft pick - much like Paris Johnson last year. Seems very bust proof.