As has been the case in recent years, the Arizona Cardinals maintained a low profile on the first day of the oxymoronic “legal tampering” phase of free agency. But, after spending the majority of the day in the shade, they wound up spending the evening at the beach.
#Cardinals signed Kelvin Beachum to two-year, $5.15 million deal, including $3.26M gtd, $2.095 million signing bonus, salaries $1.165 million (gtd), $1.21 million, annual $20,000 per game active roster bonus, $1.45M playtime incentive 2024— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 14, 2023
The Cardinals’ lone signing of Kelvin Beachum drew the ire of a number of vitriolic Cardinals fans, particularly with regard to Kyler Murray zealots.
BREAKING#AZCardinals are re-signing OT Kelvin Beachum.— NFL Notifications (@NFLNotify) March 14, 2023
Beachum was openly criticizing QB Kyler Murray’s maturity just a few days ago.
(Per @thescore) pic.twitter.com/Fuf7IChYzj
One fan tweeted: “Kelvin Beachum might’ve been one of the worst player out of our 30 FAs to resign, he’s old, he publicly bashed our QB, and he’s trash.” To which this fan felt compelled to reply:
AZ quite possibly the most ignorant NFL fan base of understanding good offensive line play. Kelvin Beachum has been the stalwart on the OL. He's played/graded above average since he arrived in AZ, converting from LT to RT. All this while accepting the most modest of salaries.— Walter B J Mitchell (@WBJMItch) March 14, 2023
Per PFF, the strength of the Cardinals’ OL in 2022 was the play of their offensive tackles;
- Josh Jones —- 75.8 (#1 highest grade of all offensive players)
- D.J. Humphries —- 72.9 (#4 highest grade of all offensive players)
- Kelvin Beachum —- 70.6 (#5 highest grade of all offensive players)
What makes these impressive grades even more impressive is the tackles having to manage the consistent instability of the interior of the Cardinals’ line.
What makes Kelvin Beachum’s re-signing particularly significant:
- It comes on the heels of his candid assessment of Kyler Murray’s talent and immaturity —-
Kelvin Beachum says Kyler Murray has all the tools.— Arizona Sports (@AZSports) March 9, 2023
"I just think he needs to grow up a little bit." pic.twitter.com/cvIcTiyGVF
- Essentially what Kelvin Beachum said in this interview is precisely how Kyler Murray’s $230.5M contract was configured as a reward for Kyler’s innate talent and as a caveat regarding Kyler’s less than desirable commitment to weekly preparation and to the organization.
- Despite Hollywood Brown’s pushback, it is clear that the Cardinals are committed to putting the team first and to holding every coach and each player accountable. Beach obviously made quite an impression on Michael Bidwill, Monti Ossenfort, Jonathan Gannon, Drew Petzing, Klayton Adams and Chris Cook. —- both in what they evaluated on film and in how they assessed the quality of Beach’s leadership —- on and off the field and in the community:
Next week I'm traveling to Zambia w/ @WorldVisionUSA I've funded 2 water wells & want your help funding a 3rd!— Beachum.eth (@KelvinBeachumJr) March 7, 2023
Donations will allow our rig to drill a well + hand pump. 1 well can provide 2,800 gallons of clean water every day for 300 people. Will you help?https://t.co/qt2iJLWfaA pic.twitter.com/Qy48lVMAOc
- Beach took a risk by being candid about Kyler Murray —- had the Cardinals’ FO and coaching staff been turned off by Beach’s rhetoric, today he would be packing up his bags and moving his family to another NFL city,
- However, the fact that he elected to stay with the Cardinals and to embrace the new GM and coaching staff means that he wants to be a part of the meaningful culture change that the organization so desperately needs.
I'd love to see the #Bengals go out and agree to terms with S Taylor Rapp & Kelvin Beachum/Jermaine Eluemunor on Day 2.— Nati Sports (@Nati_Sports) March 14, 2023
I just want a RT that you can depend on playing 16 games that can keep guys in front of them without breaking the bank.
I envision Rapp playing a similar… https://t.co/ez5vRIqzA8
- The modest contract that he agreed to is a continuation of his team-friendly deals with the Cardinals. Like the old saying, “one man’s junk is another man’s treasure.” Well, did you know that in two of the last three years, Kelvin Beachum graded higher than the 49ers’ RT Mike McGlinchey? 2022: Beachum (age 33) —- 70.6; McGlinchey (age 28) —- 70.3; And who was surrounded by the better supporting cast?
- Yesterday, the Broncos signed McGlinchey to a 5 year $87.5M contract with over $50M guaranteed. The highest graded RT in the NFC West the past few years has been the Rams’ Rob Havenstein (73.2 in 2022) and last September, he signed a 3 year extension with the Rams for $34.7M and $24.5M guaranteed. McGlinchey is getting virtually twice that.
Starting RTs in NFC West 2022
- Rob Havenstein, 30, LAR: 73.2
- Kelvin Beachum, 33, ARI, 70.6
- Mike McGlinchey, 28, SF, 70.3
- Abraham Lucas, 24, SEA, 68.4
Starting RTs in NFC West 2022 Pass Blocking Grades
- Kelvin Beachum, 33, ARI—- 76.4
- Rob Havenstein, 30, LAR —- 68.6
- Abraham Lucas, 24, SEA —- 66.8
- Mike McGlinchey, 28, SF —- 65.4
2023 Defensive Tackle Salary Bonanzas:
- Daron Payne, 25, WAS —- 4/$90M/$60M g-ted
- Javon Hargrave, 30, SF —- 4/$84M/$40M g-ted
- Dalvin Tomlinson, 29, CLE —- 4/$57M/$27.5M g-ted
- Dre’mont Jones, 26, SEA —- 3/$51/5M/$23.5M g-ted
- Zach Allen, 25, DEN —- 3/$45.8M/$32.5M g-ted
Love this for my guy!!— JJ Watt (@JJWatt) March 14, 2023
Works his ass off, studies his ass off, cares immensely.
Can’t wait to see what this next chapter holds.
DTs Still Available for ARI?
- Fletcher Cox, 32, PHI
- Shedon Rankins, 29, NYJ
- Poonah Ford, 27, SEA
- Andrew Billings, 28, LV
- A’Shawn Robinson, 28, LAR
- Matt Ioaniddis, 29, CAR
- Shelby Harris, 32, SEA
- Calais Campbell, 37, BAL
- Greg Gaines, 26, LAR
On Perhaps a More Modest Note:
Free-agent Inside Linebacker contracts so far:#Bears Tremaine Edmunds: 4-years, $72M#Bengals Germaine Pratt: 3-years, $21M#Lions LB Alex Anzalone: 3-years, $18.75M#Bears TJ Edwards: 3-years, $19M#Dolphins LB David Long: 2-years, $11M— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) March 13, 2023
Miami got a steal.
The surprise here is the very affordable contract that Eagles’ T.J. Edwards signed with the Bears. This would indicate that Edwards was not in JG’s plans. There is still some buzz about OLB Kyzir White being one JG’s preferred UFAs. Another was S Marcus Epps, but he got snagged by the Raiders.
Jimmy G. to Vegas Ripple Effect on 2023 NFL Draft
Takes Jimmy G. and career 53-21 (71.6%) record away from 49ers and out of the NFC -and has millions of cougars rushing to Expedia this instant to book frequent flights to Vegas. In Jimmy G's own words, "Wait...what?" https://t.co/eygRDGA08A— Walter B J Mitchell (@WBJMItch) March 13, 2023
I approve of this message. https://t.co/nkUvmeF0Xs— Walter B J Mitchell (@WBJMItch) March 14, 2023
NFL Cap Space Update Per Over The Cap— NFL Rumors (@nflrums) March 14, 2023
Titans $15.9M… https://t.co/MFUHK8ixm0
What are your thoughts —- and what are your predictions for today?